Saturday 28 April 2012

Gluten & Dairy Free Rasperry & Cinnamon Cake

So it's been over a year since my last post... Not, I hasten to add, because I have stopped cooking or indeed have stopped being gluten free (actually, I'm now dairy free on the whole). No, I have simply been busy. But this cake was too delicious to not share with the world.

You can actually buy a GF slice of this cake at a wonderful cafe in York called Cafe Concerto, that my sister introduced me to. In fact, it was here I first ate this cake and the chef, on me telling him how delicious it was, kindly wrote the recipe out for me.

I have made a few minor amendments to his recipe, firstly in making it DF as well, but also, with the addition of some xanthan gum, the cake is slightly less crumbly.

So here you go! It's straightforward and scrummy - my favourite kind of recipe!

Raspberry & Cinnamon Cake

4 oz cornflour
2 oz rice flour
10oz almonds
8 oz caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp cinnamon (be generous!)
8oz dairy free margarine (I use the pat Stork margarine - it's cheap and dairy free)
1 tbsp milk - I used soya, but almond, goats or rice would also work (unsweetened soya is good because it doesn't impact the flavour)
5 eggs
300g raspberries

  1. Preheat the oven to 150 degrees.
  2. Line and grease a cake tin, preferably springform.
  3. Put all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl with the margarine and milk. Mix well.
  4. Beat the 5 eggs together until bubbles rise to the surface.
  5. Add the eggs slowly to the mixture until you get a smooth cake mixture.
  6. Pour enough of the mixture into the cake tin to cover the bottom (it's quite a thick mixture - you might need to spread it slightly). Scatter two thirds of the raspberries on top.
  7. Pour the rest of the mixture on top and decorate with the remaining raspberries, pushing them into the cake slightly.
  8. Bake for 60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
  9. Leave to cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning out to cool completely.
  10. Serve! Would go nicely with a dollup of vanilla soya yoghurt.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment